Mommy Minute: Consumer Product Safety Commission warns furniture, TV spills rise ahead of Super Bowl

Kim Amato knows very well that furniture can be dangerous for children.

“My 3-year-old twin daughter, Meghan, was killed by her dresser on the Saturday before Christmas in 2004,” Amato said.

Amato says his daughter’s death happened without warning while the rest of his family slept.

“We assume she was climbing or standing in a drawer to reach something and all it took was her little 28-pound body to tip her dresser over her,” she said. “Because it fell on her on a carpet, it wasn’t loud enough to wake us up and she was unable to cry, so she choked within minutes.”

Amato has now made it his mission to educate parents about the danger, founding the groups Parents Against Tip-Overs and Meghan’s Hope.

Amato says the problem seems to skyrocket this time of year.

“While you’re watching the Super Bowl and watching the Olympics, your kids are acting out and they’re not thinking about safety,” she said.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission agrees, adding that pre-Super Bowl TV sales are a big part of the problem.

“People buy televisions, have them installed,” said chairman Alexander Hoehn-Saric. “It’s important to have them anchored to the wall.”

According to the CPSC, every year furniture or TV overturns send 22,500 people to the emergency room. On average, 26 people are killed. Eighty percent of them are children.

“If you go to a hardware store, you should be able to find an anchor kit for under $20 that’s easy to install…20 minutes to do it,” Hoehn-Saric said. “A lot of times the furniture you buy comes with anchor kits.”

Amaton encourages people to find these furniture anchor kits in every room; even when children are supervised.

“You’re not faster than gravity and you can be in the same room and be powerless to prevent that from happening.”

For more information on anchoring your furniture, click here.
To report or search for dangerous products, click here.

Comments are closed.